Kataraktis is a coastal village in southeastern Chios with a beautiful small harbour. The village has a lovely beach and many taverns offering fresh fish and seafood. In the surrounding area, there is Panagia Rouchouniotissa monastery. Old Kataraktis was built 2 km to the southwest, inland from today’s village. It is now deserted but continues to be a great draw for historians, because of its ruined medieval houses and its Byzantine churches, among which Agios Ioannis Argentis is the most well-known. It is a basilica dating from the 14th century that has been rebuilt, except for its vestiary that still preserves arches, ceramic decoration and fine mosaics. Old Kataraktis was founded by Dellarocca family that later acquired the title of Justignani by buying out Maona’s actions. After the earthquake of 1881, old Kataraktis was abandoned and its residents built a new village by the sea.